Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Incorporating Art Into Science Notes

I've always been the most "right-brained" science teacher I know.  I think science IS art and art IS science. ( In fact I even have a Pinterest board with that title. )

Recently I've done some reading about studies done on the effect of incorporating art into science instruction.  A group of Australian researchers did a study on the use of doodling in science classes and found a positive effect on both retention of information and on engagement.

In my own teaching I've seen the same thing.  Whenever I incorporated an artistic element during learning or gave students a creative way to demonstrate understanding, not only did they clearly enjoy the artistic endeavor but they stayed far more engaged with the content.  And that's why most of the resources in my Teachers Pay Teachers store incorporate art of some kind including color-by-number and paper models.

After reading about the research,  I decided to create a new line of teaching resources.  I'm calling them guided graphic notes.

The first bundle The Structure of DNA includes guided graphic notes on James Watson, Francis Crick, Rosalind Franklin, and Maurice Wilkins (the less famous "Third Man" who won the Nobel Prize with Watson and Crick for the discovery of the structure of DNA), along with guided graphic notes on the structure of DNA itself.


I'm pretty excited to share them with you.  If you have subscribed to my email list, check your email this Friday (Feb. 9th) for a free sample! And if you're not a subscriber to my email list, sign up now so you don't miss the freebie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated.